Optiklab group has a laboratory were optical communication experiments, both for didactic and research purposes, can be carried out.
Over year laboratory activities consisted of measurements/experiments in the following optical communications sectors:
- EDFA amplified transmission over up to 500km of straight-line dispersion-managed fiber of WDM signals with 10Gb/s OOK-NRZ modulation
- “Recirculating loop” configuration to propagate the WDM signal over multiple distances of available fiber stretch
- Characerization of direct-detection receivers with noise loading for bit-error-rate measurements. Use of advanced software to extrapolate BER and Q-factor from received high-quality data (Bergano’s method).
- Analysis of power transients in EDFAs, and semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOA) without and with gain-clamping (GC) (standard GC-Alcatel SOAs and Finisar vertical-cavity linear optical amplifiers (LOA)).
- SOA and GC-SOA measurements in collaboration with Turin Politechnic PhotonLab within the Italian-ministry funded projects OSATE and WONDER, and with research group of Prof. L. A. Rusch at Laval University, Québec, Canada.
- Measurements of propagation of Gb-Ethernet signals over multi-mode fibers. theoretical study and simulations of 10GbE MMF propagation.
The following main measurement equipment is available:
- Error Detector and Pulse Pattern Generator up to 10 Gbit/s – Anritsu
- Optical Spectrum Analyzer- HP/Agilent
- Tunable Laser – Photonetics
- Sampling Oscilloscope – HP/Agilent
- Power Meters – HP/Agilent e Anritsu
- Programmable Attenuators – Anritsu and Photodyne
- Laser Drivers – ILX technologies
- Vector Network Analyzer – HP/Agilent
- Wavelength Meter – HP/Agilent
Miscellaneous optical and electro-optical components:
- Mach-Zehnder 10 Gb/s Modulators – Pirelli
- Drivers for 10 Gb/s modulators – Miteq
- Amplified Photodiodes at 10 Gb/s – Miteq / Nortel
- EDFA – Pirelli / Cisco
- LOA – Genoa/Finisar
- Demultiplexer/multiplexer Filters – JDS/Hitachi
- CW Lasers – Fujitsu/Mitsubishi
- 2.5 Gb/s and 10 Gb/s Lasers with integrated MZ modulator – Nortel/Bookham, engineered at Lubljana University – Prof. Vidmar’s group